10 January 2013

micah madness

I am obsessed. I am obsessed with the show Emily Owens MD and am pissed as hell with the fact that it was cancelled by its network, The CW (who brought us Gossip Girl and 90210) and only has 3 episodes left. Actually, the way things are going, a part of me is fine with it ending soon, just as long as they finish with Emily and Micah together. But I am getting ahead of myself, so let me start from the beginning.


I first saw the promo for the series while watching the local channel ETC. This is what I remember: A blonde girl, who I presumed was Dr. Emily Owens (Mamie Gummer), excited to be in a new phase in her life, only to discover that her high school nemesis was also an intern in the same hospital, cue insecurities and flashbacks of adolescent awkwardness in unfortunately timed moments when society really expects you to be a mature healthcare professional. Complete with first person narration in the background -- so Grey's Anatomy, right? But it did spark my interest enough to intend to download said series. But my vacations and holidays got in the way, suffice it to say, I never got to watch it until a week ago.

I was channel surfing until I landed on ETC when the episode "Emily Owens... and the good and the bad" was on. I won't focus on the episode since I plan to do individual episode posts, but this put my interest in the show into hyperdrive. I guess because I found it so fresh and light, not to mention the fact that I fell in love with Dr. Micah Barnes, the resident (Michael Rady, who I didn't care for in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants) and Dr. Gina Bandari, the attending cardiothoracic surgeon (Necar Zadegan -- so hot!) within the 45min episode.
This is what made it different from Grey's Anatomy. It was light. And God knows we need more light and positive shows on TV amidst the dark, twisted, vengeful dramas we have. Sure, the main character has common dramedy character staples: insecure and at times neurotic and awkward, but she is generally a really, really good person with the best intentions who is such a rock star (referencing Will Collins in Ep1) in her profession. Her character is relatively simple and in turn, relatable (at least for me) and is such a breath of fresh air. It may have just been PMS but I felt an emotional connection with the characters.

So I proceeded to download that episode (7) as well as the next one so I won't be bitin. While watching the last two episodes, I was downloading the previous ones (in pairs) in descending order. As I waited for new downloads, I watched what I had until I finished downloading all. I strongly believe that watching it in descending order (episode8 to 1) made me fall harder in love with Micah.

This girl is on Team Micah all the way (fact: first paragraph). Especially after yesterday's episode where he had just had one of the most mature break ups on TV, ever. And when my mind involuntarily plays back scenes when he assumes Emily is going to make a (totally inappropriate) declaration of "like" for him and I see his smile, then how it is wiped from his face when he realizes that it's a Will Conversation. But again, I am getting ahead of myself.
I was obsessing on twitter yesterday. FYI, I decided to color my roots some other day and rushed home to watch the newest episode.

I'm still on the fence regarding the cancellation because the characters might be ruined like so many good shows whose writers just don't know when to stop (like Gossip Girl, and Chuck, and well, Grey's Anatomy). Plus with the rate the show is going (unfolding of the Cassandra-Will-Emily-Micah-Kelly love polygon), I'm very hopeful in an Emily-Micah happy ending to be enshrined in my heart. Still, I wish I could keep watching the doctors of Denver Memorial weekly. Won't a smarter network pick this up, please?

I wish it was Wednesday already so I can rush home again to catch the next episode.

<3, dee

PS, if you want to sign the petition for the "resuscitation" of the show, do so here AND here.

No comments:

Post a Comment