25 January 2013

candies at clark

Yesterday, I was tasked to go on an off-site plant visit in Clark, Pampanga. I left the office early with five other colleagues to inspected two industrial plants. Personally, I love plant (or site, for that matter) visits because I am amazed with what goes on there. It is just so out of the ordinary and something you just don't see everyday. It's kind of like watching How Do They Do It on NatGeo (or is it Discovery) except it appeals to more senses -- smelling the industrial chemicals, feeling the hot furnace, touching *some* of the work in process. It's amazing, and it's one of the things I love in working in this industry.

Anyhoo, we were done by lunch time, and my colleagues decided to pass by a grocery. We all know that Clark is an air base, a duty free zone and is home to several economic/industrial parks which makes it a melting pot of expats and foreign militia and one can expect exclusively imported and cheaper (duty free, remember) products in their stores. 

My other colleagues spent thousands buying imported canned goods, snacks (Piknik has been scarce in the local grocery) and candies. A lot of the items there were readily available at S&R and selected local groceries, so I didn't really bother to shop. I was originally looking for M&M's Orange (which I first bought at Subic Duty Free several years ago), but I have a feeling it has been discontinued. Plus the Clark Duty Free selection wasn't as extensive as those in Subic. I did however, find two candies that were to my liking. 
Image Source

Image Source
I bought two packs of the Jelly Belly dips, and one pack of the Andes Thins. I inhaled a whole pack of Jelly Belly's on my drive from the office to my house. God, they were irresistable. I opened the Peppermint Thins when I got home and ate them for dessert. I ate 4. They are just heaven made out of two of my favorite flavors: mint and white chocolate! I am planning to use both in test recipes, just so I won't devour them all on my own -- well, at least not in one sitting.

I'm kind of regretting not getting more, but they were quite expensive. I had to pay Php450 (at Php40.60 to a dollar) for the three items. I do wish they were available at our local stores, just so when I get the craving. Or I can just wish we had easier access to more of the awesome imported foods. But then again, Clark is simply an hour and a half roadtrip away.

How about you, where do you buy imported and not-so-off-the-local-rack food stuff?

<3, dee

No comments:

Post a Comment