16 October 2012

wander and wonder -- or vice versa ;)

On Sunday, as part of my really good friend's birthday celebration, we had planned to visit the Mind Museum at The Fort. We've been wanting to drop by ever since he saw in the newspaper that a modern science museum was being constructed. It was very fortunate that my company had sponsored part of the museum, which they honored by placing a marker inside the museum and by giving us free vouchers for distribution during our Vendors' Night. And because I was one of the few who labored for that event, I made sure that I would be rewarded with at least two vouchers. Otherwise, Adult Tickets cost Php600, but discounted tickets are available for students and teachers.
 
 
Tickets will grant you a scheduled 3-hour pass to go around the museum on your own, to play with the exhibits (many encourage interaction), roam the modern themed halls and catch whatever show they are playing about the universe. It will also grant you access to Science in the Park, an outdoor learning playground with experiment-esque installations involving water, sounds, and insects. You can also opt to get the Php750 All-day museum pass, but IMHO, 3 hours is enough to go around the museum and make your legs feel like jelly afterwards.
 

I particularly liked the Science Demo Area where various mathematical formulas were decal-ed on the surrounding cut-out walls. I took a photo as (future) reference so I can replicate this for my home kitchen. I wasn't familiar with 80% of the formulas displayed, but I would like to believe I still know one more than the average person. I also thought the Periodic Table of Elements cabinet was a fun idea, although the execution wasn't that great. I guess their scientists and designers could be more creative in filling out the shelves. But my favorite was the Brain Exhibit, where the parts and functions of the brain were very briefly explained. I guess this was the part I could most relate to, seeing as I have an ongoing battle with my sinuses and how they connect with my emotions (it's the limbic system's fault, BTW).

 
There are no formal guides inside the museum, only "Mind Movers" in electric segways roaming (although I didn't see one after we broke away from the group) so you really have to read the accompanying text. Because of this, the museum probably is best visited by children who are more adept to reading, and have a longer attention span. I love the concept of self exploration and self understanding but the exhibits aren't engaging enough for you to read through a paragraph (yes, complete paragraphs) of information. Exhibits lack the wow factor; something that would catch your attention and draw you in and pique your interest and read all the way through. I think there is a lot of room for improvement, which they can start by asking "Who is my primary audience?". Because that was what I asked after my experience. The exhibits and experiments were meant for children probably 7 to 10, but requires the attention span of adults ages 25 and up. I mean I barely had the patience to read and understand the labels.
 
Despite all that, it was still a fun day, because I'm shallow that way. Haha. Here are a few snaps around the museum. It's good to visit, especially if you visit for free. :) 
 


Get up and begin your journey of wonder.

<3, dee

No comments:

Post a Comment