09 October 2012

southbeach and size 12

It's been more than a week into October! My, my, how the days pass by so quickly. WAKE UP, for September has already ended. It is the fourth and final quarter of year 2012, and what a busy quarter this is.

I would like to start this quarter by making an announcement. I AM ON A DIET. Yes, I had to say it because I have to see it through. Why, you ask? For one thing, my clothes don't fit me anymore! I've been wearing (and buying) dresses and stretchy skirts for the past six months that it didn't occur to me how much thicker I've been growing. Aside from the obvious large pooch that is my stomach, and the larger than average size of my tighs, my normally great-fitting bras feel a tad uncomfortable already. Secondly, we have a bikini baring vacation in a months time and I want to at least look decent in my photos!

I do not want to dwell on how I got to this point and I do not want to say that it was due to my rekindled romance with baking. What is important is that I am going to try and go back to that beautiful place I was before, when I felt more confident felt light on my feet and loved going out. My ever supportive mother has convinced me that the best way to go about this quest is to try the South Beach Diet.
 
A few years ago, she had gone through this diet and lost a lot. My brother was another success story. Now, I'm hoping that I will be too. So I spent the better half of the first weekend of the month preparing my meals for this week. Since I work worlds away from where I live, I don't have much time when I get home so I pre-prepared my breakfast, lunch, some dinner, and snacks for the weeks ahead. The diet requires me to skip carbs and sugars (including fruits) for 2 weeks. I've survived the first week with only one incident of hyperacidity. And even kept my commitment through a triple celebration dinner at a dessert restaurant. Yey me! :) Here is a sample of my office lunch during a good day:

Kani Asupara Mock Maki, Chicken Satay & Miso Soup (just add water!)

Only a week to go and I can eat some semblance of carbs -- and bake again! I've already found receipes for pastries and desserts good for Phase 2. I cannot wait!

This weekend, I took a break from my kitchen toil and spent my time out and about with my family. On a glorious sunshine-y Sunday morning, I opened the nearby mall with my mom and cousin as I had to pay my credit card bills (my bank account was wiped clean). After I parted with my hard earned money, I decided to pop by the bookstore to check if the new Heather Wells mystery had come in. I scoured the shelves for 10mins, and just when I was about to give up, there it was! A single copy of Size 12 and Ready to Rock which I immediately snatched up.


We went straight to my brother's house for lunch, but as we were waiting for it to be served, I took the opportunity to spend some QT with my new book. I tore off the plastic and oooooh --- it was such heaven to the touch! I didn't waste any time and started to read it. I finished it before I went to bed. I missed that eager feeling to finish a book within a day.

Anyway, let me just say that I thoroughly enjoyed the Heather Wells series (as well as the Boy series) because it is filled with such weird and fun characters and the narration is simply entertaining. But I found that I missed the characters I love so much in this book. And even Heather seemed different in her musings. Is this because she is already engaged to Cooper Cartwright? Oh goodness, please do not let a man (no matter how gorgeous he is and how manly his hands are) change a beloved character. I still had a few laughs while reading the book but I think this is my least favorite of the series. It seemed as if the author wanted to bring more seriousness and reality into the story ending up compromising the quirky characters that brought so much glitter into the story. Fortunately, there was word that there is going to be a fifth book set to be released next year. It will be the return of Heather's mother which may mean that another crazy will be introduced in the bunch to create the chaos that brings out the comedy in us.

Hmm, what should I read next?

<3, dee

No comments:

Post a Comment