04 December 2012

surprise shopping

I can't get into my vacation posts (a whole month's worth) because I am still reeling from the surrealness of it all. I plan on accomplishing it during the holiday season (read: tamad mode for all office personnel), once I get an idea on how to start. So for now, I shall bore your with my spur of the moment shopping adventures.

We had our group christmas party last night, and the theme was "White". Yes, just white. Do not get me started on how "white" is not even a color, let alone a theme. The invite asked us to "come in our white outfits", and I forsaw a gaggle of employees looking like nurses and caregivers. My boss also hated the idea and loathed the unglamorous theme. Since our formal event in August, she's been wanting to don fascinators. Not letting a moment of kalandian pass, I suggested that the ladies of our department wear fascinators to spice up our white outfits. So last Thursday, she sent me and our office mother on a mission. To go to Divisoria and secure fascinators for the 9 ladies in our department, and phantom masks for 5 of the men.

We took the LRT from Katipunan to Recto and a jeep to Divisoria. We arrived at 1:30 in the afternoon and loads of people, clothes on hangers and on the floor, and the sweltering heat welcomed us. The last time I had gone to Divi to shop was when I was still in first year college, so I was hot on the heels of my companion, otherwise I will be a lost duck.

We first ventured onto Tabora Street (farther end) and quickly found Phantom masks for the guys in our department. We found white full face masks for Php30, and asked the kind kuya to cut it into phantom style for free. We continued on, but had no luck finding white fascinators. We exited the street and went to the entrance of the famed 168Mall. But before we entered, my Divisoria Seasoned companion told me to cross the street since there was a small two-storey shop on the other side who sold lots of accessories. We climbed to the second floor and I saw walls and racks and shelves filled with earrings, bracelets, rings and other accessories. I momentarily forgot my mission and beelined towards the rings. To cut the long story short, I had purchased the following items for myself.
 
We left that store without any fascinators (they didn't have white ones) and proceeded to venture into 168. We searched high and low, without any luck. Our office mother called a friend (a veteran Divisoria shopper) and asked a better place to look for the fascinators. She told us to go to 999 Mall the newest (I think) mall in Divi and just across 168. As we entered 999, the first accessory stall thankfully had fascinators! In white! So while my companion was busy selecting 9 (although there weren't a lot to choose from), I was distraced by the display of cocktail rings that were priced 3 for 100. Needless to say, we accomplished our mission and I got to score some Php34 rings!

I had bought two other nail polish bottles one in glittery green and one in matte crimson for Php70 each. Clearly, these are imitation OPI products but I didn't care.
 
rainbow rings (Php50 for 6 rings), rubber bracelets (just last Sunday, I saw some in SM although I doubt the price can compete with my Php18 bargain), cocktail rings -- including a 'stache ring! (3 for Php100), rose metal ring (php50 for 3 rings), silver and blue slim rings (Php20), stone gray matte polish (Php40), "OPI" Polishes (Php70 ea)

I left Divi at 4pm and rode a jeep to D.Jose LRT station so I could go and meet my family at SM Mall of Asia for my brother's final dinner before going into residency in Orthopaedics in PGH. While waiting, I went off to withdraw some money I owed my brother's girlfriend (from our recently concluded overseas trip), forgetting the fact that it was payday Thursday. Since I didn't have any luck with the ATM, I decided to look for a silver tank top that is to be part of my family Christmas costume (more on this after I actually wear the costume on the 22nd). I went to the usual stores where I thought I could find the perfect top and it landed me at Forever21. When I got there, I got side tracked with racks with a pink sign on them. "50% off selected marked down items". I saw dresses priced at Php1200 marked down to Php469 (a steal!) and immediately placed those in my mesh bag. As I stashed my 5th dress into the shopping bag, my mother called and said my brother arrived and we were to eat. I reluctantly left my still-to-be-fitted clothes and headed for dinner.

After dinner, I negotiated an hour's shopping time before heading home. I returned to F21 and proceeded to scour the racks again. As I was contemplating getting another ruffled tube sundress, a sales person approached me and said that thh Php469 dress was still to be discounted by 50%. I trust you all can do quick math especially in retail. This fueled my shopping more and after half an hour, I had 6 dresses to try on. Good thing it was already 9PM at that time (mall hours extended to 10 or 11 since it's the season) and the dressing rooms weren't as packed as it normally is. Unfortunately, 3 of the items I chose were too big for me so I let that go. Before paying, I chanced upon the perfect silver tank top I have been looking for before I was majorly distracted. I quickly got it off the rack and proceeded to check out. My bill amounted to around Php1400, half of which is for the silver tank. Hopefully, I can debut my new clothes within the month and show them off here.
 
Accessories were also 50% off mark down price -- so I got 2 long necklaces :)

My last and final shopping surprise came on Sunday. I went to the nearest SM to pay for my credit card (overseas shopping >.<) bill and my cellphone bill. I was done in 10mins and I called home to ask if they needed anything. Since my mom and cousin were decorating the house for Christmas, she asked for something that can cover the pot of her "Christmas Tree" (yes, it is a real plant which she got from her garden). She wanted it gold, but not the shiny type. So tinsel was definitely out. I was banking on some gold wrapping paper or the not-so-yellow japanese paper. How surprised was I when saw GOLD CREPE PAPER! In my 25 years of existence and about 10 years or looking at random craft stuff, this was the first time I saw GOLD CREPE PAPER! And it was the perfect glittery gold in matte finish in that pliable, stretchable, crumpleable, shape-holding crepe paper texture. I loved how it looked on the tree. It was just perfect, I even tweeted about it! Haha.

Gold Crepe Paper!!! (Photo taken with flash, hence the shine)
Php24 pesos for a 50cmX200cm sheet at SM Dept Store


How have your shopping adventure been this season?

<3, dee

No comments:

Post a Comment