25 May 2012

bun basics

So lately I've been looking into remixes for the basic pony tail, since my hair is due for rebond in a couple of months and its frizz behavior has been unpredictable. I've found so much tutorials on the internet but I haven't gotten the chance to try them all out yet, until yesterday.

I wore my hair in a bun, a sock bun to be specific. All my co-workers found it really cool, and little did they know that it wasn't all my hair. This is the tutorial that I found on how to DIY.


I tried this first method but found it difficult because my hair had layers and some of the shorter strands escaped the rolling. Or maybe practise will make it perfect. So I found a modified version and tried it myself, and this is how it went:


1. So instead of a sock (I didn't want to put a used sock on my hair, even if it has been washed and I'm too practical to cut up a new pair), I used those thick knit headbands and used it to secure my hair into a ponytail. This will be the "filler" of the bun, so the thicker it is, the puffier the bun will be.

2. Then I turned ponytail on itself to cover the headband, tried to distribute it evenly and ensured that the whole thing is covered (you might want to use a filler of the same color as your hair to avoid embarrassing peek outs).

3. I used a clear elastic to hold the covering hair in place.

4. Wrap the extra hair around the bun base and secure with pins. For the final pin, I used one with the florette to give it a little umph.

So there, a very successful sock bun! This modified version is good for people with thinner hair, shorter hair, or layered hair. :)

So, I'll be practising the other method now. See you!

<3, dee

No comments:

Post a Comment